couchdb-user mailing list archives

From "Daniel Rosowski" <Daniel.Rosow...@gmx.de>
Subject Re: Windows installer 0.10.1
Date Tue, 16 Feb 2010 10:22:57 GMT
> Although I was eventually able to download it about a month ago, a few
> weeks prior to that, it was practically impossible; the download would
> fail after crawling along for an hour or so, with many repeated
> attempts.  Same story several days in a row.  I gave up in the end, but
> when I tried again a couple of weeks later, the download flew along
> nicely, and I had the thing in minutes.    It'd be nice if extremely
> useful downloadables like these could be mirrored on at least a couple
> of sites... if possible.  It's unclear to me whether the Windows
> installer is an unofficial, private thing, or a semi-official offering -

The download worked for me today without problems. I'd still like to suggest a more reliable
approach to provide an easy way to get up and running under windows. The windows installer
is not mentioned at all in the download section on the official apache site. I'm convinced
that providing some windows binaries (installer or archive, doesn't matter) in the download
section would result in a much wider acceptance in the professional sector. As much as I hate
to say it, but I'm not alone, there are many more people having to work with a windows box
at work. It is said some even just prefer windows as an OS, but I can't provide proof. IMHO,
excluding those developers (at least at the first sight, not everybody takes a look in the
wiki) is a big drawback for couchDBs popularity.

> certainly enormous thanks to Mark Hammond are in order for creating it!

Totally agree on that. Great effort!

Cheers,
Daniel