couchdb-user mailing list archives

From Zachary Zolton <zachary.zol...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Do I need the couchdb.stdout file?
Date Fri, 08 Jan 2010 17:03:42 GMT
Okay, looking into my /usr/local/etc/default/couchdb file, I noticed
it contains the following:

export COUCHDB_USER=couchdb
export COUCHDB_STDOUT_FILE=/usr/local/var/log/couchdb/couchdb.stdout
export COUCHDB_STDERR_FILE=/usr/local/var/log/couchdb/couchdb.stderr

So, my question is can I just set those two file paths to /dev/null
without causing any problems?

P.S. I'm using Monit to start CouchDB with: "/etc/init.d/couchdb
start", so it should be a standard daemon...

On Thu, Jan 7, 2010 at 8:07 PM, Noah Slater <nslater@tumbolia.org> wrote:
> If you run CouchDB from the init script it will log to a standard log file under PREFIX/var/log,
but if you run it manually from the command line, it will output to couchdb.stdout/stderr.
It is up to you which you want to use, and what you do with the output in each case. I would
advise using the init script where you are running it regularly as a daemon.