couchdb-user mailing list archives

From Paul Davis <paul.joseph.da...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Do document versions ever expire?
Date Tue, 26 Jan 2010 22:09:20 GMT
On Tue, Jan 26, 2010 at 4:56 PM, Sean Clark Hess <seanhess@gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm wondering if old versions of documents ever expire. On servers that are
> disk-bound (like my tiny VPS slices will be) this could be something I had
> to design around.
>
> For example, when importing data (millions of rows) from a relational
> database, I want to be able to build a document a piece at a time. The
> relational schema is wacked - it has information about a given document in
> like 10 different tables, and I don't want to have to try to hold everything
> in memory just so I only have to write the document once.
>
> Any way to control it, or turn versioning off?  Is it even a concern?
> Thanks!

Sean,

Compaction removes the bodies of old documents. The only information
that remains is some historical information to allow for proper
merging during replication. The number of historical descriptions is
configurable so that even this information can be pruned during
compaction.

The closest you could get to purging all historical information is to
set the rev_stemming parameter low and compacting to get rid of the
extra data. I personally wouldn't worry too much about the
rev_stemming parameter and instead just compact as much as needed
during the import.

HTH,
Paul Davis