couchdb-user mailing list archives

From Adam Kocoloski <kocol...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Turning continuous replication back on
Date Mon, 04 Jan 2010 18:04:19 GMT
On Jan 4, 2010, at 12:57 PM, Chris Anderson wrote:

> On Mon, Jan 4, 2010 at 6:34 AM, Lena Herrmann <lena@zeromail.org> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> let's say I have a continuous replication running from a "client" to a
>> "server", so that changes on the client are replicated to the server. When
>> the server goes offline, I understand that the client tries to replicate
>> every second, then every 2 seconds, every 4, 8, 16 and so on.
>>
>> My question: Is there a way to turn the continuous replication back on in my
>> JS application on the client? For example, checking every X seconds with
>> setTimeout if I can load something from the server, and when the server is
>> there again, I'd like to tell the client's continuous replication to go back
>> to very small timeouts between attempts.
>
> I haven't tried it, but the first thing I'd try is just triggered
> another continuous replication. It certainly won't hurt, and it might
> be just what you're looking for.
>
> This brings to mind that we'd do well to have the continuous
> replication configuration stored somewhere that's not voodoo. Like in
> a database, so you could just edit a document to refresh it.
>
> Adam, any thoughts on this?

Yeah, we're overdue for a replication configuration DB.  There's an old thread on dev@ that
fleshes out the design fairly well.  When that feature is available, refreshing the config
doc would reboot the replication from the last checkpoint, and reset the timeout in the process.

At the moment, I don't believe there is a way to reset the timeout of a continuous replication.
 The timeout interval should reset when the replication wakes up and successfully resumes
operations, though.  Best,

Adam