couchdb-user mailing list archives

From Sean Clark Hess <seanh...@gmail.com>
Subject Upper limit of views?
Date Mon, 25 Jan 2010 16:30:26 GMT
I love Couch, but I keep running into things I don't understand, and seem
like they would cause problems in the long run.

One of those is the idea that you dump a whole bunch of related information
into the same database, then build design documents and views for it. I
believe the docs say normally you have one design document per application?

Under the hood then, don't we have to run a map function on each document in
the database for each view in each design document? Eventually, it seems
quite reasonable to expect that I'd have 20 or so views of the same data.
Wouldn't that slow down inserts a lot? What is the practical upper limit of
views?

Write speed is pretty important for one part of our system - should I put
that data in another database so it doesn't get slowed down by the rest of
the data's views?

Thanks!