couchdb-user mailing list archives

From Brian Candler <B.Cand...@pobox.com>
Subject Re: Installing Couch on a machine with no internet and other issues
Date Mon, 18 Jan 2010 20:38:11 GMT
On Mon, Jan 18, 2010 at 02:51:18PM -0500, Dave Ray wrote:
> Hi. I'm in the situation where I'm going to be installing CouchDB on a
> machine (RedHat Enterprise Linux)  with a couple limitations.
>
> First, it has no internet access. I can bring software to it on CD or
> DVD (after a thorough security process), but can't install anything
> through a mechanism that requires internet access.
> Second, it has very little installed on it, in particular no gcc, so
> building from source would be difficult.
>
> I'm by no means an expert on Linux package management systems so I'm
> looking for suggestions for easily getting a pre-built (with all
> required dependencies) CouchDB onto this machine. I have successfully
> set up Couch on a very similar machine, but in that case, had internet
> access so I could install gcc, Erlang, etc and then build Couch from
> source.
>
> For what it's worth, I do have root access on this machine.
>
> Any thoughts?

Looks like you need an RPM you can copy to the target machine, and RPMs for
all its dependencies (particularly erlang of course, but also things like
spidermonkey)

I've not built RPMs for couchdb, as all my work has been on Ubuntu boxes.
But I've built RPMs in the past, and the best way I've found is to build
them inside a chroot cleanroom environment using 'mach'. This guarantees
that you'll have all your dependencies properly sorted.

I've documented it here:
http://www.howtoforge.com/building-rpm-packages-in-a-chroot-environment-using-mach

Tell mach that you're building for CentOS <N>, and the binary package will
happily run on RedHat Enterprise <N>.

That doesn't tell you how to write a .spec file though. As a first call,
I'd start googling for them. There are several public RPM repositories out
there which publish spec files for thousands of packages.

HTH,

Brian.