couchdb-user mailing list archives

From Brian Candler <B.Cand...@pobox.com>
Subject Re: sample couchdb application
Date Fri, 08 Jan 2010 20:29:50 GMT
On Thu, Jan 07, 2010 at 10:04:59PM +0000, Matteo Caprari wrote:
> The utc_random is good idea. Does it need to be configured at instance
> level? If so, wouldn't it be a problem in distributed environment.

Yes, it does have to be enabled at instance level.

The alternative is to use this algorithm in the clients - don't rely on
server-generated uuids at all.  This is what I do.  Since the 'client' in my
case is a middleware layer, I can rely on the clocks being reasonably
accurate (and this doesn't make any difference for collision avoidance
anyway)

Regards,

Brian.