couchdb-user mailing list archives

From Brad Anderson <b...@sankatygroup.com>
Subject Re: Two Concerns
Date Thu, 31 Dec 2009 15:16:00 GMT
On Wed, Dec 30, 2009 at 10:31 PM, Chris Anderson <jchris@apache.org> wrote:

> On Wed, Dec 30, 2009 at 6:55 PM, David Van Couvering
> <david.vancouvering@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Chris, is the CouchDB "vision" and focus going to be more on the
> > localhost/CouchApp type of solution, or more on a robust, scalable
> > distributed document database?  My sense is the former, even though I
> think
> > CouchDB has a lot of advantages in the latter.
>
> No question about it, CouchDB has it's sights set on being able to run
> at datacenter-scale. Cloudant already has an implementation of
> partitioning (based on Cliff Moon's Dynomite) which can handle
> big-data / high-throughput by clustering across many machines. I can't
> speak for them, but they've expressed interest in rolling this back
> into the Apache tree, and I imagine a lot of this work will happen in
> the coming months.

Chris covered our thoughts exactly.  We are running our beta right now to
iron out the kinks and get some real-world operational experience with a
CouchDB clustering / distribution layer.  Once the functionality has
demonstrated some time operating at scale, we will be working to get it into
the wild so more people can test it and contribute enhancements.

Cheers,

Brad Anderson
http://cloudant.com