couchdb-user mailing list archives

From Chris Anderson <jch...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Two Concerns
Date Thu, 31 Dec 2009 01:07:52 GMT
On Wed, Dec 30, 2009 at 3:51 PM, Sean Clark Hess <seanhess@gmail.com> wrote:
> Thanks Tim.
>
> One more thing I thought of. I don't remember having this impression before,
> but as I read the Oreilly Book, it seems that the idea of running Couch on
> devices and local computers is a major feature. There are many features
> designed to make CouchDB able to function without middleware.
>
> My question is: why? That's what middleware is for...

The answer is not that Couch is trying to do everything. Really, we
have one thing we do extremely well, and that is robust JSON storage
with p2p replication, accessed over HTTP.

Because we do that already, the ability to serve apps directly from
the Couch to the browser is low-hanging-fruit. It is also the best way
to take advantage of replication. Other NoSQL stores may be able to
rival our capabilities as a scalable database, but no database running
in a remote datacenter will be as fast for users as a Couch running on
localhost.

Middleware is fine even for apps that run at the edge, but if your app
requires middleware, that is yet another thing that will need to be
installed on the users's machine. CouchDB's eventual goal is to part
of the standard desktop stack -- just another feature of web browsers.

It is this vision that led to the code that supports HTML rendering.
Ajax apps are nearly good enough for most cases, but fall down badly
when accessibility and searchability come into play. Also,
link-following is an essential part of the REST architecture, and it
is absent from a JSON-only interface.

There are apps which can be written against the local Couch and
browser stack, that can't be written any other way.

If you aren't trying to write one of those, the CouchApp feature set
is still useful. See for instance the people using _list to filter
view responses according to user authentication information, or
_update to provide update-in-place like semantics.

I hope this helps to answer your question.

Chris

--
Chris Anderson
http://jchrisa.net