couchdb-user mailing list archives

From Paul Davis <paul.joseph.da...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: CouchDB not listening on Port 5984
Date Tue, 15 Dec 2009 00:12:14 GMT
2009/12/14 "Thomas Mühlichen" <blogspace@wolke7.net>:

> -------- Original-Nachricht --------
>> Datum: Mon, 14 Dec 2009 18:44:26 -0500
>> Von: Paul Davis <paul.joseph.davis@gmail.com>
>> An: user@couchdb.apache.org
>> Betreff: Re: CouchDB not listening on Port 5984
>
>> On Mon, Dec 14, 2009 at 6:29 PM,  <blogspace@wolke7.net> wrote:
>> > I have problems to get couchdb work.
>> >
>> > I installed it from svn on a ubuntu 8.04.3 LTS system.
>> >
>> > When i start /usr/local/etc/init.d/couchdb start it says "Starting
>> database server couchdb    [ OK ]", the process is running but not listening
>> on port 5984, there is unfortunately not log output and when i stop it, it
>> says "Stopping database server couchdb  [ OK ]", but the processes are
>> still running.
>> >
>> > I also installed erlang from source (Erlang R13B03 (erts-5.7.4)). I read
>> that this problem occurs when couchdb 0.9.x and 0.10.x is installed on the
>> same system, because of an erlang error, but i have only the current
>> version of couchdb installed.
>> >
>> > Any ideas?
>> >
>> > Many Thanks,
>> >
>> > Thomas
>>
>> Thomas,
>>
>> Can you try running couchdb from the command line and pasting any output?
>>
>> Something like:
>>
>> $ sudo su - couchdb
>> $ couchdb
>>
>> Generally these are permissions errors so you might check the README
>> for the list of directories that need to be writable by the user
>> running couchdb.
>>
>> HTH,
>> Paul Davis
>
> $ sudo su - couchdb
> No directory, logging in with HOME=/
> $ couchdb
>
> there is no output... (the missing home directory for the couchdb user should not be
relevant i think). i also have set the permissions. and the log directory is still empty:

> $ ls -la /usr/local/var/log/couchdb/
> total 8
> drwxrwx--- 2 couchdb couchdb 4096 2009-12-13 23:40 .
> drwxr-xr-x 3 root    root    4096 2009-12-13 23:40 ..
>
> Thomas
>
> --

Did you change permissions on the $PREFIX/var/run/couchdb
$PREFIX/var/lib/couchdb directories as well? Can you run couchdb as
root? Can you change the log level in $PREFIX/etc/couchdb/local.ini to
debug and try again?

Can you try these commands in the erl console:

$ erl
# Stuff...

1> application:start(crypto).
ok
2> application:start(couch).
ok

And see if either of those doesn't return ok.

HTH,
Paul Davis