couchdb-user mailing list archives

From Nils Breunese <N.Breun...@vpro.nl>
Subject RE: Error compacting a database on Windows
Date Fri, 04 Dec 2009 07:43:38 GMT
Hello all,

We're having trouble getting CouchDB 0.10 into production. Our hosting provider has traced
the testsuite failing to a problem with unlinking open files on NFS, which apparently is also
problematic. I have asked if this is something that can be fixed on the NFS end or if this
needs a fix in CouchDB, but have not gotten a reply yet. Could this problem be the same as
the problem with compaction on Windows? We have test servers that run fine, but they don't
use NFS.

Nils Breunese.
Van: Paul Davis [paul.joseph.davis@gmail.com]
Verzonden: donderdag 3 december 2009 23:25
Aan: user@couchdb.apache.org
Onderwerp: Re: Error compacting a database on Windows

This is a known issue in how database compaction works. On Unix we can
unlink an open file and replace it with the compacted version. Windows
has different semantics that disallow this approach. At some point we
hope to get this fixed, but to my knowledge no one has started writing
code for it.

Paul Davis