couchdb-user mailing list archives

From Nils Breunese <N.Breun...@vpro.nl>
Subject Problem with NFS storage
Date Fri, 04 Dec 2009 11:01:50 GMT
Hello,

We are currently running CouchDB 0.9.1. We would like to upgrade to
version 0.10 for its JSONP support, but our hosting provider was having
problems getting the testsuite to pass, so we haven't upgraded our
production setup yet. On our test servers 0.10 is working fine and
passing all tests.

Now our hosting provider claims to have found the problem. Translated
from Dutch their report comes down to something like this:

----
CouchDB can't handle having its data directory on NFS.

It seems CouchDB tries to do this:
1 mkdir test
2 start process X with fd under test/foo
3 do the work
4 rm test/foo
5 rmdir test
6 kill process X

When test/ is on NFS:
In step 4 an open file is being removed. NFS doesn't really support this
and the workaround is that the client implementation does
   mv file .nfsXXXXXXX

However, the 'rmdir test' in step 5 then cannot succeed anymore, since
the directory is not empty. This eventually causes CouchDB to crash.

In earlier versions of CouchDB the open/rm/rmdir/kill order may have
been different, for instance open/rm/kill/rmdir.
----

Could this indeed be the problem? Should I file a Jira ticket on this?
For now we might have to ask them to change to local storage?

Nils Breunese.