couchdb-user mailing list archives

From "Markus Jelsma - Buyways B.V." <mar...@buyways.nl>
Subject Re: _show without docid returns 500 instead of 404
Date Tue, 01 Dec 2009 17:04:43 GMT
Hello Chris,

I'm glad you agree on my assumption that either the book or code is
wrong and i'm glad something can be done about it.

Creating a custom 404 respone inside the show function seems
inappropriate to me. Since show functions are without side-effects they
cannot rely on other components in rendering a proper response so
rendering a custom reusable error response is out of the question. And
besides, a 404 Not Found is - in my opinion - exactly what we need and
allows/forces for the caller to handle it properly.

In short, i concur. I would vote for the 404 reply and thus follow the
instructions in the book.

Regards,
M.