couchdb-user mailing list archives

From David Nolen <dnolen.li...@gmail.com>
Subject Question about document copies & replication
Date Wed, 11 Nov 2009 04:19:53 GMT
Ok,

My mind is being blown by CouchDB :D

So I've realized that having a few databases per user is a really great idea
if you decide to scale by decentralizing your content (clients do the heavy
lifting by running queries on their local couchdb instances - since you're
replicating to the client you don't really care that a lot of data is
getting copied around). Every user has their own view of the world, and the
server CouchDB instance is really only for dealing with content shared
between users.

In our application (http://shiftspace.org), I'm thinking something along
these lines:

Client's laptop CouchDB instance:
user/private - all the documents a user has created plus replicated content
from groups and whatnot
user/public - all the user's public content
user/inbox - short messages

Server CouchDB instance:
group/x - group dbs of shared content. Replicated downstream to individual
user/private who belong to the group
master - user/public dbs replicated upstream to here.

So my question is this. When a user publishes a document, it is written to
user/private. If the user publishes a document to the world, we make a copy
of it in user/public - it's just the same data minus the _rev field.
Whenever a user updates a public document, we update the user/private copy
as well as the the user/public copy which will be replicated upstream to the
server.

So my question for the CouchDB gurus, will creating copies of documents in
this manner create potential problems?

Thanks much,
David