couchdb-user mailing list archives

From Adam Kocoloski <kocol...@apache.org>
Subject Re: pull replication + firewalls
Date Mon, 09 Nov 2009 13:01:11 GMT
On Nov 8, 2009, at 9:48 PM, Alex P wrote:

> hey all,
>
> i was trying to pull down a db from a remote server via pull
> replication to
> my laptop. now, it's windows, and therefore suspect, but this may be
> something else. when i attempt pull replication initiated from
> windows 0.91
> laptop to ubuntu 0.10 server, it crashes with this stack:
>
> [error] [<0.103.0>] {error_report,<0.22.0>,
>    {<0.103.0>,crash_report,
>     [[{pid,<0.103.0>},
>       {registered_name,[]},
>       {error_info,
>           {exit,
>               {badarg,
>                   [{ets,lookup,
>                        [ibrowse_lb,
>                         {"server removed to protect the
> innocent",<port
> number>}]},
>                    {ibrowse,send_req,6},
>                    {couch_rep,do_http_request,5},
>                    {couch_rep,get_db_info,1},
>                    {couch_rep,init,1},
>                    {gen_server,init_it,6},
>                    {proc_lib,init_p_do_apply,3}]},
>               [{gen_server,init_it,6},{proc_lib,init_p_do_apply,3}]}},
>       {initial_call,{couch_rep,init,['Argument__1']}},
>       {ancestors,
>
> [couch_rep_sup,couch_primary_services,couch_server_sup,<0.1.0>]},
>       {messages,[]},
>       {links,[<0.53.0>]},
>       {dictionary,[]},
>       {trap_exit,true},
>       {status,running},
>       {heap_size,610},
>       {stack_size,23},
>       {reductions,320}],
>
> when i decided to try to push from the ubuntu server to the laptop
> (ports
> 5984 was opened on both attempts), everything went swimmingly. this
> last
> part makes me think that may be this is a firewall issue of some
> sort. for
> pull replication, do the dbs attempt to talk over any port other
> than 5984
> (or whatever is configured locally)?
>
> thanks,
> alex.

I'm guessing this is a bug in the Windows startup script.  It needs to
execute ibrowse:start(), but it hasn't.  The firewall doesn't appear
to play a role at all.  The reason push replication works is that your
Ubuntu machine is making the HTTP requests, so ibrowse on the Windows
machine is not involved.  And

> do the dbs attempt to talk over any port other than 5984 (or
> whatever is configured locally)?

Nope, they don't.  Best, Adam