couchdb-user mailing list archives

From Volker Mische <volker.mis...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: looking for best approach to handle geo data
Date Fri, 13 Nov 2009 16:31:35 GMT
Jim Woodgate wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 13, 2009 at 10:07 AM, Volker Mische <volker.mische@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi Jim,
>>
>> are the two objects you want to check the intersection of within one
>> document, or is every geometry in its own document?
>>

> Each document has it's own geometry (which might be a single point or
> a closed polygon) and the search would be a geometry (more than likely
> a polygon) and I would only return documents where the geometries
> intersected.  I was also hoping to use a bounding box to order the
> documents.

I don't see a way without using an _external handler for it. Actually
what you describe is a use-case why I created GeoCouch. I'd love to have
a way doing such things directly in CocuhDB, but it's a loooong way to
go to make it happen. Therefore I use an spatial database for these kind
of operations (SpatiaLite is basically only a R-Tree connected with GEOS
for stuff like intersections and PROJ4 for reprojection).

If you find another solution, or want to help getting this functionality
into CouchDB, please let me know.

Cheers,
  Volker