couchdb-user mailing list archives

From Brian Candler <B.Cand...@pobox.com>
Subject Re: Comment tree design in CouchDB?
Date Wed, 25 Nov 2009 09:14:50 GMT
On Tue, Nov 24, 2009 at 01:48:16PM +0100, Lennart Melzer wrote:
> Right now I can either have those documents sorted by their creation date, or hierarchically
correct, but not both.

> I don't want to use incrementing ids, since I'd like to stick with the uuids ( or at
least with ids, that do not tell anything about the ordering).

CouchDB can generate time-based UUIDs, where the top part of the uuid is the
time and the bottom part is essentially random.

I think this would work very well for you:

- you get documents with equal keys naturally sorted by insertion time

- you don't even need to add a created_time field, since you can parse it out
  of the uuid when you need it

Regards,

Brian.