couchdb-user mailing list archives

From Paul Davis <paul.joseph.da...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Where do deleceted docs go
Date Wed, 28 Oct 2009 12:42:57 GMT
On Wed, Oct 28, 2009 at 8:39 AM, Paul Davis <paul.joseph.davis@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 28, 2009 at 8:29 AM, Thomas Delaet <thomas@delaet.org> wrote:
>> If I understand this correctly, the fact that you can not rely on
>> deleted documents being available cripples the synchronization
>> mechanism.
>
> Compaction only removes the body of deleted documents. Revisions are
> kept around specifically for this reason.
>
> HTH,
> Paul Davis

Also, on a side note, for people wanting the "remove this document in
such a matter that replication will *not* delete the document in the
target db" you want to use the purge API. This is generally *not* what
most people should use. Purge exists for things like rebalancing nodes
in a cluster. Effectively operations that want to 'reparent' a docid
to a different shard or some such.

Paul Davis