couchdb-user mailing list archives

From Paul Davis <paul.joseph.da...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: couch behavior for san snapshots
Date Mon, 19 Oct 2009 19:23:16 GMT
On Mon, Oct 19, 2009 at 3:18 PM, Alex P <apedenko@kolosy.com> wrote:
> hello,
>
> we ran into an issue this weekend where taking a SAN (amazon ebs) snapshot
> of a couchdb mount somehow brought over only part of the data. specifically,
> there were two small dbs (call them db1 and db2) on the couch instance, each
> with several hundred documents. taking the snapshot and bringing it up again
> showed both databases, but one had 0 documents and an update sequence of 0.
> the instance the snapshot was taken from still has both databases showing
> with several hundred databases. we repeated this process several times, with
> the same effect, on the same db.
>
> any thoughts would be much appreciated, as we are about to go live, and not
> being able to do a backup of our db is ... disturbing.
>
> thanks,
> alex.

Alex,

That's most odd. What happens if you try and cp the database file to a
new name? Something like:

$ cp /usr/local/var/lib/couchdb/db1.couch /usr/local/var/lib/couchdb/db3.couch

Another thing to try would be:

$ curl -X POST http://127.0.0.1:5984/db1/_ensure_full_commit

And then try to snapshot or copy again. I highly doubt that POST would
affect anything, but it might be worth a shot.

Paul Davis