couchdb-user mailing list archives

From Paul Davis <paul.joseph.da...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Starting CouchDB on Ubuntu (trunk rev 821585)
Date Sun, 04 Oct 2009 21:35:10 GMT
> Do you think it's a bug or misconfiguration in my system? Waht should I do
> to help finding the solution?

To be honest, I have absolutely no idea. And I'm running out of ideas
on how best to start figuring out what's going on here.

The only thing I can think of is to start tearing into the init
scripts and boot sequence bit by bit until you find something
surprising. And by that I mean:

Find the exact erl command used to start couchdb by echoing from the script.
Run that directly, see if it gives any usable info.
If not, start tearing into the startup procedure with Erlang print
statements to see where it gets to.

That's obviously not a lot of awesome, but I really can't think of
anything better right now.

Oh, though, you might throw an strace in to see if the VM is halting
on something tragic. Something like:

$ sudo su - couchdb
$ strace -f couchdb

You'll want to put that output on friendpaste or somewhere though
rather than directly in the email cause it should be fairly large.

Paul