couchdb-user mailing list archives

From Brian Karlak <zen...@metaweb.com>
Subject insert performance
Date Tue, 13 Oct 2009 04:37:05 GMT
Hello All --

I am running CouchDB-0.8.1 on a dual-core Gentoo box.  Things have
been smooth for several months, but suddenly I noticed that insert
performance has decreased dramatically, even for an insert into a
newly created database:

# no database yet ...
$ time curl -X POST --data '{"_id":"12345", "guid":"128736218763"}' http://localhost:5984/freeq_brk%2F1/
{"error":"not_found","reason":"missing"}
real	0m0.009s
user	0m0.004s
sys	0m0.004s

# create a database
$ time curl -X PUT http://oat.corp:5984/freeq_brk%2F1/
{"ok":true}
real	0m0.182s
user	0m0.004s
sys	0m0.004s

# insert a document
$ time curl -X POST --data '{"_id":"12345", "guid":"128736218763"}' http://localhost:5984/freeq_brk%2F1/
{"ok":true,"id":"6cd41ba6ddfae66fc5f2f468c31411f1","rev":"3389439647"}
real	0m0.117s
user	0m0.004s
sys	0m0.000s

Can anyone provide me with any clues as to what might be going on, or
even how to debug the situation?  This seems one or two orders of
magnitude slower than I would expect -- or I remember seeing.

Many thanks in advance for any advice anyone can provide.

Brian