couchdb-user mailing list archives

From Adam Kocoloski <kocol...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [long] multiple couchdb invocations, single machine
Date Sat, 24 Oct 2009 18:49:32 GMT
On Oct 24, 2009, at 2:37 AM, Paul Davis wrote:

> On Sat, Oct 24, 2009 at 2:26 AM, Michael McDaniel
> <couchdby@autosys.us> wrote:

>>> Michael,
>>>
>>> Hmm, you must've uncovered a bug here in the recent boot sequence
>>> updates. You've probably reduced it well enough that we should be
>>> able
>>> to get it fixed though. Thanks for the report.
>>>
>>> Paul Davis
>> ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>>
>>  glad it helped, Paul - and thanks for the laugh w/the bug report
>>                        (I still lurk on dev@)
>>

>>  I'll grab a new version in a day or few ...
>>
>> ~M
>>

> If you're not having fun, you're Doing It Wrong.

Actually, I'm having trouble reproducing this bug.  I must be missing
something.  All I did was write the config file (this is pat.ini,
mike.ini is analogous)

> macbook:~ $ cat /usr/local/couchdb/trunk/etc/couchdb/pat.ini
> [couchdb]
> database_dir = /tmp/pat
>
> [log]
> level = debug
>
> [httpd]
> port = 5986

and start the server

> macbook:~ $ /usr/local/couchdb/trunk/bin/couchdb -a /usr/local/
> couchdb/trunk/etc/couchdb/pat.ini
> Apache CouchDB 0.11.0b829113 (LogLevel=debug) is starting.
> Configuration Settings ["/usr/local/couchdb/trunk/etc/couchdb/
> default.ini",
>                         "/usr/local/couchdb/trunk/etc/couchdb/
> local.ini",
>                         "/usr/local/couchdb/trunk/etc/couchdb/
> pat.ini"]:
<snip>
>   [couchdb] database_dir="/tmp/pat"

and do the same for Mike, and I get the correct behavior -- Pat's DBs
go in /tmp/pat, Mike's in /tmp/mike.  I also tried running in the
background,  Nothing that I do seems to trigger this bug.

I will note, though, that the code which looks up the database_dir
falls back to "." if it's not defined (see couch_server:init/1).  So
that tells me the config values in Michael's setup aren't accessible
to couch_server.

Michael, can you check one more thing for me -- did you upgrade in
place to a newer version of CouchDB?  What are the contents of /usr/
local/lib/couchdb/erlang/lib?  We have a bug we need to fix in trunk
where Couch can accidentally use old versions of modules if they show
up in the same directory.  If that happens, well, all bets are off.
Best,

Adam