couchdb-user mailing list archives

From Ning Tan <ning...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Modelling Question
Date Fri, 02 Oct 2009 14:51:49 GMT
On Thu, Oct 1, 2009 at 5:12 PM, tsuraan <tsuraan@gmail.com> wrote:
> Ok, so in my case, a user needs to be able to edit his mailbox (delete
> messages from it, mostly), so each user needs his own mailbox.  If the
> structure of the user table is something like:
>
> { "username" : name,
>  "mailboxes" : [
>    { "entries" : [ list of messages ],
>      "source" : name of email source,
>      "name" : whatever the user wants to call the mailbox
>   },
>   ... ]}
>
> Then email delivery for each email creator would be a map-reduce job
> that delivers email into every box whose source entry matches the name
> of the email creator.  Does that make sense for Couch?  Is that
> something that is reasonable to do in a map-reduce job, and would it
> perform reasonably?

Are mailboxes concrete documents or merely an abstraction (e.g.
supported by tagging the mail messages maybe)? I like the latter
better than the former.

I'm not sure you need the reduce part of the MapReduce framework here
if all you need is a list of messages. Be care generating a large
amount of data from your reduce function; it's not meant to support
that.