couchdb-user mailing list archives

From Sven Helmberger <sven.helmber...@gmx.de>
Subject Re: My first time i wrote to a mailing list.
Date Thu, 22 Oct 2009 19:17:26 GMT
Noah Slater schrieb:

> On 22 Oct 2009, at 18:55, Georges Racinet wrote:
>
>> Glad to hear that :-) Didn't he mean that users of CouchDB are mostly
>> developers anyway, though ?
>
> Dunno. I think it's a bit odd to suggest that CouchDB could ever be for
> non-developers.
>
> There's a lot of activity at the moment, from various sides, to make
> CouchDB ubiquitous. UbuntuOne is a good example. But in the case where a
> user is using CouchDB because it is used for some application they have,
> that does not mean that they should care that it uses CouchDB. SQLite is
> used by Mail.app, but that doesn't mean that Mail.app users care about
> SQLite. CouchDB is a tool in your toolchain so that you can build user
> applications. CouchDB itself is not a user application. Again, if
> someone built a non-JSON GUI for CouchDB, then that would be a user
> application - but the CouchDB core is still just a tool. Maybe I'm
> talking shit. I'm sure I will be corrected if I am.

What about the equivalent to people who just know enough of programming
and logic to be able to write SQL queries?

Shouldn't those people have the chance to at least try their luck with
couchdb map and reduce functions?

If that is the case, a separate forum might be worthwhile.

Regards,
Sven Helmberger