couchdb-user mailing list archives

From Leo Simons <m...@leosimons.com>
Subject Re: insert performance
Date Thu, 15 Oct 2009 00:14:48 GMT
On Thu, Oct 15, 2009 at 12:48 AM, Glenn Rempe <glenn@rempe.us> wrote:
> "The ext2 inode specification allows for over 100 trillion files to
> reside in a single directory, however because of the current
> linked-list directoryimplementation, only about 10-15 thousand files
> can realistically be stored in a single directory.
> Of course this will vary by filesystem in absolute terms, but I think
> the concept is the same for all current file systems. No?

Uhm, well, for the record, basically, no :-)

There's file systems that can use things like a tree instead of a
linked list for directories.

IOW more powerful file systems like ZFS or GPFS have different characteristics.

Things like running 'ls' probably do become more and more expensive
rather non-linearly across almost all filesystems, but you probably
don't _really_ have to run that 'ls' :)

All that said, put them /-es in your namespace name and you can
probably stick with EXT2!

ciao,

- Leo