couchdb-user mailing list archives

From Simon Eisenmann <si...@struktur.de>
Subject Re: Replication hangs
Date Mon, 19 Oct 2009 14:45:06 GMT
Am Montag, den 19.10.2009, 10:37 -0400 schrieb Adam Kocoloski:
> o, until JIRA comes back online I'll follow up with that here.  I
> think I could see how repeated pull replications in rapid succession
> could end up blowing through sockets.  Each pull replication sets up
> one new connection for the _changes feed, and tears it down at the
> end
> (everything else replication-related goes through a connection
> pool).
> Do enough of those very short requests and you could end up with
> lots
> of connections in TIME_WAIT and eventually run out of sockets.
> FWIW,
> the default Erlang limit is slightly less than 1024.  If your
> update_notification process uses a new connection for every POST to
> _replicate you'll hit the system limit (also 1024 in Ubuntu IIRC)
> twice as fast.

I see that you mean. Though i am using a connection pool in the update
notification as well. I verified that i am not leaking connections on
the client side. The only reason i have to throw away and open a nw
connection is if the response is returned chunked.

I see the reasons for chunged transfer encoding. Is there a way to
disable it on connections so i can make sure i have a fixed connection
pool size on the client?

> Continuous replication is really our preferred solution for your
> scenario.  If you can live with interpreting the records in the
> _local
> document to verify that it's still running you'll end up with a more
> efficient replication system all around.

Yes i think that sould be possible. I will probably switch to that way.

> Regarding the hangs, if you do write a test script I'll be more than
> happy to try it and figure out what's going wrong.  Best,

I will do my best to make one available as soon as possible.

Best regards
Simon

--
Simon Eisenmann

[ mailto:simon@struktur.de ]

[ struktur AG | Kronenstra├če 22a | D-70173 Stuttgart ]
[ T. +49.711.896656.68 | F.+49.711.89665610 ]
[ http://www.struktur.de | mailto:info@struktur.de ]