couchdb-user mailing list archives

From Chris Anderson <jch...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Slide on CouchDB: very very very slow ?
Date Sat, 26 Sep 2009 05:36:00 GMT
On Fri, Sep 25, 2009 at 8:19 PM, Paul Davis <paul.joseph.davis@gmail.com> wrote:
> http://vmx.cx/cgi-bin/blog/index.cgi/benchmarking-is-not-easy%3A2009-09-23%3Aen%2CCouchDB%2CPython%2CTileCache%2Cgeo
> http://jan.prima.de/plok/archives/175-Benchmarks-You-are-Doing-it-Wrong.html
> http://jan.prima.de/plok/archives/176-Caveats-of-Evaluating-Databases.html
>
> HTH,
> Paul Davis
>
> On Fri, Sep 25, 2009 at 11:00 PM, go canal <gocanal@yahoo.com> wrote:
>> I just saw http://github.com/igal/ruby_datastores/raw/master/2009-08-04%20Non-relational%20data%20stores%20for%20Ruby%20r1.pdf
>>
>> the comments for CouchDB is 'very very very slow'... I am not sure about the context.
>>

>> Slide #13 has some performance data. The difference is significant.
>>
>> any comments ?
>> rgds,
>> canal

There is an emphasis placed on serial speed in benchmark-land. Serial
speed is important if you are doing big imports from a handful of
clients. There are precious few benchmarks of these databases that
compare how many concurrent connections they can support, which is a
much more important metric for operating at scale, than raw query
execution speed.

What matter is fast enough, and not falling over under load.

Chris

--
Chris Anderson
http://jchrisa.net