couchdb-user mailing list archives

From cinnebar <merz.onl...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Futon Improvements
Date Thu, 10 Sep 2009 16:04:25 GMT
> I don't believe CouchDB depends on jQuery.

> In any case CouchDB by itself does not depend on jQuery.

Perhaps I didnt explain my point well.  I mentioned jquery dependency in the
context of 'Futon improvements'.  Futon is the 'in box' app for accessing
CouchDB in browser and is dependent on jquery.  Beyond this we think that
the effect of better documenting at least the js included with CouchDB on
installation would be greatly increased usability of CouchDB.  We do not
have this opinion because we are stupid or because we do not understand the
code.

I myself would welcome the demonstration of an alternative version of Futon
from either of you that does not require jquery and is as good as or more
full featured than the Futon that we have .

>  jQuery and CouchApp are much easier to write

The addition of the features mentioned by Paul in the jquery dependent Futon
would be good to see too.

At the moment the feature set of Futon is far from useful for the level of
dev that we are already at.

> CouchApp is a third party tool
> You don't need to use CouchApp though, you can push design documents any
way you like.

I mentioned CouchApp only in passing and i realise its dependencies are not
really relevant to this discussion but it does seem odd to me that the demo
'standalone couchapp' in couchdb documentation is 'out of the box' dependent
on a python module.  At the same time personally i like using py and i like
using js so calling the CouchApp py module a 'third party tool' in the
context doesnt seem to make too much sense.

...development of CouchDB will also be aided if this user mailing list
involved a higher % of informed discussion and lower % 'o crap i cant it to
work'

cheers