couchdb-user mailing list archives

From cinnebar <merz.onl...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Futon Improvements
Date Thu, 10 Sep 2009 01:33:42 GMT
I am working with a group on a full featured ERP that proposes to
index/store data AND scripts in one or multiple json db files, perhaps
outputting function sets from json document/s to .js (for example) file/s
serverside maybe in a cache folder though perhaps clientside concates or an
array function will be adequate for most use cases.  For a number of reasons
and although it is still infant we consider that CouchDB is the best
candidate for serverside handling of the json docs at the moment.

We would like to see CouchDB independant of jquery (or even python re
CouchApp for that matter) for standalone couchapps 'out of the box'.

Given the very excellent http request api that is a fundamental aspect of
CouchDB we consider that the current jquery dependancy is a major deterrent
regarding general uptake of CouchDB.

While the jquery dependency still stands we consider that the dev rate of
futon and more generally other standalone couchapps will be increased
dramatically with detailed documentation (commented or otherwise) of the
jquery.couch.js and other 'in box' jquery[].js files with a simple list of
function dependancies regards to jquery.js and perhaps documentation of
those functions too.  Perhaps the fastest way for this to proceed would be
for the author of jquery.couch.js to provide some explanation in order to
augment general documentation of 'in box' CouchDB components.

As yet no time to look through the test suite for specifically jquery
dependancies and documentation would be helpful here too.

Of course there is the couch.js providing SJAX methods if required but AJAX
is 'the shit' (or AJAJ as is more exact in this case - hehe)  and perhaps it
could be included in a 'COUCH' object namespace.  We are working with an
'EOS' object at the moment but this may change.