couchdb-user mailing list archives

From Debasish Ghosh <ghosh.debas...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Query server perfromance issues ..
Date Sat, 19 Sep 2009 18:40:41 GMT
Here are some additional behavior changes that I am noticing between the 2
versions ..
In the newer version, I notice lots of null strings being sent continuously
from the couchdb server to the view server. My view server loop looks like
the following :-

while (true) {
  s = inputstreamreader.readLine
  toJson(s) match {
    //.. process reset, add_fun etc.
  }
}

With the new version, I find lots of null strings coming in to "s", which
makes me include something like the following ..

while (true) {
  s = inputstreamreader.readLine
  if (s == null) // ignore
  else
  toJson(s) match {
    //.. process reset, add_fun etc.
  }
}

And this null business is really huge. Has there been any change in the
protocol between the couchdb server and the view server ? I suspect that
these null exchanges are taking up lots of cycles which result in process
time out in the new version. I do not get this null stuff with the older
version. Is there any chance of such happening with the changes that have
been done in couch_query_servers.erl ?

Thanks.
- Debasish