couchdb-user mailing list archives

From Jesse Hallett <halle...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: jQuery dependency (Re: Futon Improvements)
Date Thu, 10 Sep 2009 15:22:15 GMT
Maybe the problem is that the JavaScript interface library that ships with
CouchDB depends on jQuery.  If that is the case and if it only relies on
jQuery for XMLHttpRequest support then it should be reasonably easy to
factor out.

On the other hand a jQuery dependency in Futon is a good thing, and would be
much more difficult to factor out anyway.

On Sep 10, 2009 2:59 AM, "Jan Lehnardt" <jan@apache.org> wrote:

Hi :)

On 10 Sep 2009, at 03:33, cinnebar wrote:

 I am working with a group on a full featured ERP that proposes to
> index/store data AND scripts in one or multiple json db files, perhaps
> outputting function sets from json document/s to .js (for example) file/s
> serverside maybe in a cache folder though perhaps clientside concates or an
> array function will be adequate for most use cases.  For a number of
> reasons
> and although it is still infant we consider that CouchDB is the best
> candidate for serverside handling of the json docs at the moment.
>
> We would like to see CouchDB independant of jquery (or even python re
> CouchApp for that matter) for standalone couchapps 'out of the box'.
>
> Given the very excellent http request api that is a fundamental aspect of
> CouchDB we consider that the current jquery dependancy is a major deterrent
> regarding general uptake of CouchDB.

a) jQuery is a very popular js lib, I don't see how that is a deterrent.
b) CouchDB has no dependency on jQuery :) Feel free to use any you like,
   I've seen raw JS, Dojo, Prototype & Sproutcore apps, maybe more without
   a line of jQuery.

Cheers
Jan