couchdb-user mailing list archives

From go canal <goca...@yahoo.com>
Subject couchdb: suitable for this type of applications ?
Date Sat, 26 Sep 2009 01:29:07 GMT
Hello,
another question. here is the use case:
 - a group of 10 engineers working on a project,
 - total files created over 12 months: 500
 - average update per file 15 times
 - average file size 20MB
 - file format: MS Office, PDF, CAD drawings.

I thought CouchDB is designed to support this type of applications but is it correct to say
that, every time there is an update to a doc, CouchDB will create a new version of the (whole)
document ?
So can I say the total storage will be 500 * 20MB * 15 = 150GB without counting other overhead
?

Another question, if I only modify one field, is the attachment also copied into the new version
of the document ?

I also saw this message posted almost a year ago, talking about if CouchDB is suitable for
frequent small writes application, and it seems that some client side buffering is needed
:
http://markmail.org/message/klrbkh36ivxg46ax

Is it still true today ?

rgds,