couchdb-user mailing list archives

From Blair Zajac <bl...@orcaware.com>
Subject Re: jQuery dependency (Re: Futon Improvements)
Date Fri, 11 Sep 2009 05:31:35 GMT
cinnebar wrote:
>> a) jQuery is a very popular js lib, I don't see how that is a deterrent.
>
> I am going to try to address this and it may take a few posts/emails.
>
> Firstly jquery is a useful, popular and all round great framework (perhaps
> this is stating the obvious).
>
> The discussion that this thread stems from began with this:
>
>> So I'm at a bit of an impasse. I've got a couple ideas for how to give
>> Futon an extra bit of polish but I have no AJAX-fu. I thought I'd just
>> throw out some ideas and see if anyone wanted to try implementing
>> them.
>
> Implementation of any new features in Futon immediately requires at least
> being down with jquery or otherwise being down with js and ajax with jquery
> on top.
>
> The project I am involved with is being built with its own js component lib
> to avoid longterm development cycles of third party libraries such as
> jquery.  We are employing techniques and functions/methods from a number of
> popular and not so commonly used libraries with license requires and credits
> where credits are due...

This is probably the right decision for your project, but...

> I am sure that a growing percentage of couchdb users consider jquery style
> js an unnecessary layer of complexity.

...as a new user of CouchDB I don't see it this way for the CouchDB project.

I would also rather see the CouchDB developers leverage a single JavaScript
framework than build their own or even mix a few together, as the first wastes
their time when they could be improving CouchDB core and the second limits the
ease at which new developers can contribute, since it requires familiarity with
more than one library.  Additionally, backing ones own JavaScript library
basically ensures that no one else will be familiar with it.

Personally, if I were choosing a JavaScript library, I would choose ExtJs or YUI
because I am familiar with them, but I don't see how choosing and settling on
jQuery is a bad decision.

Regards,
Blair

--