couchdb-user mailing list archives

From Noah Slater <nsla...@apache.org>
Subject Re: jQuery dependency (Re: Futon Improvements)
Date Fri, 11 Sep 2009 09:32:40 GMT
On Fri, Sep 11, 2009 at 02:22:46PM +1000, cinnebar wrote:
> Implementation of any new features in Futon immediately requires at least
> being down with jquery or otherwise being down with js and ajax with jquery
> on top.

Yeps, sure. But hacking on the build systems requires knowledge of the GNU
Autotools, and hacking on the database core requires knowledge of Erlang and
to a large part, understanding of HTTP and hypermedia best practice.

I'm not saying that this isn't something we should be thinking about, but like a
few other people have pointed out, the browser environment is so heterogeneous
that we will need to use something like this whatever the case.

Swapping out jQuery for our own library smacks of NIH. But ultimately, I think
that decision rests with whomever is responsible for Futon, which is of course,
Chris Lenz at the moment. If he wanted to switch to Lenz's Awesome DHTML Library
of Win and it wasn't clearly an insane design decision, then sweet!

Best,