couchdb-user mailing list archives

From Chris Anderson <jch...@apache.org>
Subject Re: I can’t relax. I broke my couch upgrading dependencies. What might this error mean?
Date Mon, 03 Aug 2009 15:27:01 GMT
On Sun, Aug 2, 2009 at 12:50 AM, Oliver Boermans<boermans@gmail.com> wrote:
> 2009/8/2 Paul Davis <paul.joseph.davis@gmail.com>:
>> Try 'make clean && make' in your couchdb directory to make sure
>> everything gets rebuilt and relinked.
>
> No change unfortunately, so I tried it twice and noticed a (useful ?)
> line in the response:
>
>    couch_erl_driver.c:177: fatal error: opening dependency file
> .deps/couch_erl_driver_la-couch_erl_driver.Tpo: Permission denied

Oliver,

This line suggests `make` was run with sudo or as a different user at
some point. Blowing away the source tree and starting from a fresh
download ought to have fixed this.

There's an alternative build you could try, standing in a freshly
untarred copy of the couchdb source, to be on the safe side: `make dev
&& utils/run`

This will run CouchDB inside the source directory, instead of
installing it. The advantage of this is that it should bypass any
funny business happening on your machine. In the long run you'll want
to `sudo make install` so that the database files don't go into a temp
directory, but getting the dev build to happen will be a helpful
debugging step (and get you on a running couch.)

Also, for more real-time help, the #couchdb channel on
irc.freenode.net is usually a good place to hang out.

Thanks for working so hard to get it to run.

Chris

--
Chris Anderson
http://jchrisa.net