couchdb-user mailing list archives

From Paul Davis <paul.joseph.da...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Validation callouts over HTTP[S]
Date Sun, 16 Aug 2009 00:24:19 GMT
On Sat, Aug 15, 2009 at 6:34 PM, Sam Johnston<samj@samj.net> wrote:
> On Sat, Aug 15, 2009 at 9:07 PM, Nathan Stott <nrstott@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> If you're talking about using the validate_docs javascript validation of
>> couchdb, making HTTP calls is not supported there.
>>

> Ok so I guess I'll just have to maintain lists where I can (eg NASDAQ codes)
> and make do without where I can't (eg domain names).
>
> Might be nice to provide this functionality in future.
>
> Sam

validate_doc_update functions probably won't ever be able to access
anything outside of the data provided in the function signature.
Allowing a validator to access external resources could end up causing
lots of weirdness during replication and what not.

That said, the new _update handlers may be open to having HTTP
support. I'm not entirely certain on the implications here and if we
do allow it, we'll have to revisit some of the curl handlers.

Paul Davis