couchdb-user mailing list archives

From Paul Davis <paul.joseph.da...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: couchdb on 8 core redhat/fedora
Date Mon, 10 Aug 2009 14:00:07 GMT
On Mon, Aug 10, 2009 at 9:53 AM, Norman Barker<norman.barker@gmail.com> wrote:
> I was a little surprised by this, and did a quick grep on spawn on the
> couchdb code base, it isn't used that much and I wonder why. In
> particular for bulk doc updates I wonder why pmap isn't used (perhaps
> I am missing something), for my project I have needed to write a
> custom updater, a pre-writer, (great modular design now btw in 0.9 I
> was able to hook it all up - updater, query server from the ini file)
> and I am going up to a javascript function to parse an incoming
> document (not JSON) into multiple JSON documents I am then using a
> pmap to write this to the db, doesn't seem to be that complicated and
> I should then get an increase in speed to compensate for the initial
> javascript parsing delay.
>
> Could all (or most) use of the plain map be replaced with a pmap in
> couchdb or am I missing something?
>
> Not to hijack this thread, but I have written a pre-writer, are there
> any plans to add filters (pre and post) on the couchdb roadmap?
>
> As a J2EE developer, I still see the benefit of the Erlang VM - easier
> to develop 'fast' applications in for sure.
>
> thanks,
>
> Norman

Couple points,

All writes to disk are serialized, so using a pmap to save docs isn't
going to save you much unless you're parallelizing the JSON parsing.

I'm not sure what you mean by pre and post filters. I wrote a first
pass at being able to mutate documents when saving last week or so.
Post filters sounds alot like _show.

HTH,
Paul Davis