couchdb-user mailing list archives

From Frédéric Malo <fredericm...@gmail.com>
Subject How to code an advanced search
Date Sun, 16 Aug 2009 08:29:58 GMT
Hello,

I would like to create an "advanced search" for a couchDB database, and I
don't know how to do it without reduce. The documentation warns me not to
follow this strategy :

A common mistake new CouchDB users make, is attempting to construct complex
aggregate values with a reduce function. Full reductions should result in a
scalar value, like 5, not, for instance, a JSON hash with the set of unique
keys, and the count of each. The problem with this approach is that you’ll
end up with a very very large final value. The number of unique keys can be
nearly as large as the number of total keys, even for a large set. It is
fine to combine a few scalar calculations into one reduce function, for
instance to find the total, average, and standard deviation of a set of
numbers in a single function.
http://books.couchdb.org/relax/design-documents/views

For example, imagine a music database as iTunes. I would like to create a
script to query such as :

Sort all songs by genre then album  :
- with 3 or 5 stars
- artist name matching "floyd"
- duration between 5 and 8 minutes
- heard last week (perhaps another couch database, logging user actions)
- ....

All the parameters are optional. Users can choose to filter with only 2 or 5
parameters. Other parameters should be added.

My first reflex is to think like sql with index and joins.

But how to code it with views and reduce ?

Thank you for all, couchDB users !

Frédéric