couchdb-user mailing list archives

From Oliver Boermans <boerm...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: I can’t relax. I broke my couch upgrading dependencies. What might this error mean?
Date Sun, 16 Aug 2009 02:59:09 GMT
I’m back onto this after restarting my Mac upon updating to OSX 10.5.7.

2009/8/8 Noah Slater <nslater@apache.org>:
> "You should make sure that the couchdb user has a working login shell. You can
>  test this logging into a terminal as the couchdb user. You should also make
>  sure to set the home directory to /usr/local/var/lib/couchdb which is the
>  CouchDB database directory."
>
> You'll need to figure out why this command isn't working. Can you log in as the
> couchdb user? Does it have a proper shell? What is the home directory set to?
> Does it exist? Does the user have permission to access it?

Yesterday I blew away my couchdb user and group as I discovered that
their unique IDs were not so unique. I recreated them (with more care)
following these instructions
<http://blog.deadinkvinyl.com/2008/07/12/couchdb-on-macosx-leopard/>.

After trashed the full contents of /usr/local/ and attempting to run a
freshly built and installed CouchDB I get exactly the same error:

init terminating in do_boot
(dlopen(/usr/local/lib/couchdb/erlang/lib/couch-0.9.1/priv/lib/couch_erl_driver.so,
2): Library not loaded: /opt/local/lib/libnspr4.dylib

I believe the problem may still lie with the couchdb user I created as
now when I test as Noah has suggested above:

$ login couchdb
Password:
Login incorrect

Maybe I am misunderstanding the function of login.

Although this looks okay afaict:

$ dscl . -read /Users/couchdb
AppleMetaNodeLocation: /Local/Default
GeneratedUID: 67CCCC0E-9933-4F44-BCFE-F9DA7FF3C5A4
NFSHomeDirectory: /usr/local/var/lib/couchdb
Password: *********
PrimaryGroupID: 100
RealName:
 CouchDB Administrator
RecordName: couchdb
RecordType: dsRecTypeStandard:Users
UniqueID: 100
UserShell: /bin/bash

AND

$ dscl . -read /Groups/couchdb
AppleMetaNodeLocation: /Local/Default
GeneratedUID: 4279FBB1-D149-4BF1-8657-E14B947E1943
PrimaryGroupID: 100
RealName:
 CouchDB Users
RecordName: couchdb
RecordType: dsRecTypeStandard:Groups

AND

$ sudo -u couchdb ls /usr/local/var/lib/couchdb
Password:
erl_crash.dump

At this point I realise this is most likely not a CouchDB issue as
much as PEBCAK.
I’ll continue my Googling.
So much to learn…