couchdb-user mailing list archives

From Paul Joseph Davis <paul.joseph.da...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: couch returning text/plain for responses - is this correct ?
Date Sun, 02 Aug 2009 09:10:13 GMT

On Aug 2, 2009, at 4:53 AM, Nitin Borwankar <nitin@borwankar.com> wrote:

> Paul Joseph Davis wrote:
>>

>> [...]
>>>

>> Well, for jquery with couchdb I'd just point people at
>> jquery.couch.js for most answers. Though that could be me being
>> lazy. Feel free to add where you think is appropriate. The wiki is
>> a wiki after all. :)
>>

> For people like me coming from a very rudimentary UI experience
> level - a slower descent into the hel.. er I mean depths of  jquery
> is preferred :-).
> I love jQuery but the more advanced syntax is a steep curve for a
> few days.
> I tried the jquery.couch.js approach first - but just the number of
> concepts to be assimilated before I could get one thing done were
> too much.
> The functional syntax takes some getting used to and just trying to
> figure what scope I am in at each line of the code is mind twisting.
>
> Most jQuery tutorials are focused on DOM manipulation whereas my
> first interest is/was making calls to couch and getting json back -
> this usually comes towards th end of a jQuery book and I'd like to
> create a page or two of simple jQuery ajax in the context of couch.
>
> Starting from a bare $.ajax call level is useful - the syntactic
> sugar of jQuery is actually very useful - I just found it way too
> much all at once to also assimilate the plug in concepts as well.
>
> Additionally getting the paths straightened out when adding your own
> libs or using the internal ones is another thing.
>
> Perhaps a tutorial db that comes with couch and has a bunch of
> sample docs, simplest to more complicated, with libs, attachments,
> sample data would be useful.
>
> I remember when I was at Sybase ( it is still true ) they had a
> "pubs" sample database that was installed with the server and was
> useful in learning an in testing.  Sybase training classes were
> based on the "pubs" database as well.  I know the test data base is
> supposed to be similar but a testing environment is not always
> conducive to learning for many people.  I'd like to float the idea
> of a database with sample data, code and docs that can be replicated
> from couch.io, or just comes with couch ( to save couch.io the
> bandwidth charges ).
>
> In the meanwhile I can start something on the wiki - in my copious
> spare time.

I'm fairly I intrigued by the idea of a standard test database. At the
moment all tests build up their required test data. There could be a
couple issues in terms of mechanics but having a couple example
databses that could be cloned or some such might end up making tests
quite a bit more straight forward.

Anyone else have thoughts?