couchdb-user mailing list archives

From Nitin Borwankar <ni...@borwankar.com>
Subject Re: couchdb on 8 core redhat/fedora
Date Sun, 09 Aug 2009 21:25:57 GMT
On Sun, Aug 9, 2009 at 12:13 PM, Adam Kocoloski <kocolosk@apache.org> wrote:

> Hi Nitin, Jan's right, if you're only building views from a single design
> doc you won't get much indexing speedup from multi-core at the moment.  We
> do spawn multiple couchjs processes (often one does the map and the other
> the reduce), but we don't map docs out to them simultaneously or anything.
>  Also, the Erlang process communicating with couchjs blocks and waits for
> the results when it sends data out.  Best,
>
> Adam

Ok, so I could have multiple databases each with multiple design docs and
make a number of requests and have a number of couchjs processes spread out
across multiple cores right?

I suppose what I am hearing is that views in a single design doc can become
a bottleneck but views in multiple design docs will get the benefit of
multiple couchjs processes.

Since this part of my experiment is not couchapp based, I am completely fine
having a) multiple databases and b) multiple design docs per database.

So this gives me the OS level scheduling of couchjs processes across cores,
I think.

Nitin

37% of all statistics are made up on the spot
Nitin Borwankar
nborwankar@gmail.com