couchdb-user mailing list archives

From Miles Fidelman <>
Subject Re: Replication and new user questions
Date Tue, 25 Aug 2009 21:17:39 GMT
Blair Zajac wrote:
> Hello,
> We're looking at using CouchDB's replication to allow us to easily
> have multi-master replicating databases across multiple facilities,
> (e.g. Los Angeles, Albuquerque, Bristol, England, etc).  It looks like
> it'll be the perfect tool for the job.
> Some questions on the current implementation and the work that I've
> read is going to be in forthcoming releases.
> 1) What's the most robust automatic replication mechanism?  While
> continuous replication looks nice, I see there's some tickets open
> with it and that it has issues with four nodes.  Is a more robust
> solution, but a little slower and heavier, it to have an
> update_notification that manually POSTs to _replicate?
> 2) With the persistent continuous replication feature, is there a way
> to stop continuous replication without restarting couchdb?  Will there
> be a way to manage the list of replicant databases when the persistent
> continuous replication feature is complete?
I'm sort of interested in this too.  We have an application we're
developing that's somewhat analogous to USENET News.  What we want to do is:

1. define arbitrary groups, analogous to newsgroups

2. distribute control messages to a large number of nodes, allowing a
node to subscribe (or not)

3. when a message (document) is posted (inserted) into a group, it gets
replicated to all subscribed nodes

I keep looking at CouchDB and thinking this should be perfect for what
we're doing, but the details of replication are really sketchy.

Miles Fidelman