couchdb-user mailing list archives

From Nitin Borwankar <ni...@borwankar.com>
Subject Re: couchdb on 8 core redhat/fedora
Date Sun, 09 Aug 2009 16:39:32 GMT
Jan Lehnardt wrote:

> On 9 Aug 2009, at 07:57, Nitin Borwankar wrote:
>
>> Paul Davis wrote:
>>
>> Hey Paul,
>>
>> Thanks much for that.  I was hoping it was something simple like that.
>> "Spidermonkey doesn't use any SMP features" -  does that mean it will
>> only run on one core and essentially become the bottleneck ?
>
>  We don't parallelize view index creation yet, so this is not an
> additional problem for you. You can however build two views in
> parallel and make use of two cores that way.

Hi Jan,

Last night on the #couchdb irc channel there seemed to be agreement that
since multiple couchjs processes are spawned (this can be seen during
view creation) we get parallelism at the OS level.  Benoitc made the
original point. So it seems that as long as the proper flags are used
during configure/build, multi-core should be fine.  I don't expect
access to anything huger "just" 4 and 8 core boxes,  this should be fine
for the foreseeable future.

Nitin