couchdb-user mailing list archives

From "[mRg]" <emar...@googlemail.com>
Subject CouchDB for production
Date Tue, 18 Aug 2009 07:52:17 GMT
Hi all,
After showing how great a fit CouchDB is in the proof of concept stage, I
have now been tasked with specing a production machine.

Does anyone have recommendations/gotchas for CouchDB production environments
? As an idea of scale the site is expected to handle 8,000,000 hits per
month (approx 250,000 per day) and while Couch isnt providing all of the
site functionality it is supporting the tagging elements which is a major
part of the site.

We have a large SAN / VMWare-based virtualised infrastructure and (Please
correct me if I'm wrong) I remember reading that disk-seek performance is
probably more important than processor for a CouchDB environment so I am
also looking at a good way to get some test metrics to see if a VM box will
be up to scratch.

Should running the test suite (from futon) give me a good idea of
performance rates of a single machine if I can get one put together ?

Any advice / answers anyone can give are appreciated.