couchdb-user mailing list archives

From Daniel Tr├╝mper <daniel.truem...@googlemail.com>
Subject Updating views while inserting documents
Date Sat, 04 Jul 2009 08:55:59 GMT
Hi,

In the company I am working for I have implemented a implementation of
their 'Document Storage' which has until now been MySQL :). Now with
CouchDB everything is just perfect! So thank you Damien for taking the
risk!

Regarding the insertion of a ton of documents what is the rule-of-
thumb (if there is one) for updating the views? Currently I am
planning to insert maybe 1000 documents and then call one of the
design document's view function in order to update them. But I have
read on the list that the views are also updated if I simply GET one
document?

Essentially my question is: do I call one of the views or do I GET one
document?

Another question is: if I have done things wrong and now have about
150.000 documents in my database (240MB) and several views that I now
want to update, is it expected that the time for this is not linear?
We have seen that CouchDB takes about an hour or so to update 50% of
the views and then several hours for the rest (if it does not crash
before)!

Thanks,
Daniel