couchdb-user mailing list archives

From Jason Sachs <jmsa...@gmail.com>
Subject DAGs (directed acyclic graphs) in couchdb
Date Mon, 13 Jul 2009 13:51:14 GMT
This thread (http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/couchdb-user/200812.mbox/%3Ce8d26ac40812120812l43046a3i7754c9b2bdcac764@mail.gmail.com%3E)
mentioned directed acyclic graphs briefly... but if there was a moment
of enlightenment on good ways to represent DAGs in couchdb, I must
have missed it. Any thoughts? I've read the hierarchy page on the wiki
(http://wiki.apache.org/couchdb/How_to_store_hierarchical_data) but it
requires each node to store its materialized path. DAGs don't have a
single unique path to nodes, and even if you tweaked this design to
list the multiple paths to a node from the root (or from a designated
root, since a DAG doesn't really have the concept of a root, and can
have multiple roots), you still have the possibility of combinatorial
explosions of data.