couchdb-user mailing list archives

From Nicholas Orr <>
Subject Unique human readable ID
Date Wed, 29 Jul 2009 03:33:50 GMT
I get the whole point of letting couchdb generate id's.
At the same time I need a way to create a human
memorable/readable/communicative id:
 - ID: 45060, 45061, 45062, etc
That is a whole lot simpler to relay over a phone call compared to:
- 1d98d82f5b6a628527344ba991cb7e2f

What have people done to satisfy the users of their systems with a simple id
and also be able to replicate the documents between different couchdb

I've come up with 2 ideas:

# 1
Have a single couchdb that has 50 documents (tickets) (figure out a way to
always have 50 available) in it like what is mentioned in the wiki to do

For each instance of the application prefix the id with it's instance id so
1.45060 & 2.45060 have the same id but were created on different instances.
Therefore when the two instances of the couchdb's replicate with each other
there are two unique id's
I can see this adding a fair amount of overhead if it gets to the point of
more then a few instances...

If I drop the requirement of replication everything becomes simple. Then I
have to wonder - why am I using CouchDB then??

[1] -