couchdb-user mailing list archives

From Robert Newson <robert.new...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Views with parameters
Date Wed, 15 Jul 2009 22:05:14 GMT
Well, that depends on what you're attempting with numbers.

For the record, if you index numeric values then sorting already works
correctly. That is if you called doc.add(1) and doc.add(10), the order
would be correct when you sorted. What won't be correct is a range
query (q=[1 TO 10]) as that's text-based. You can also fix that if you
padded the numbers out with zeros. But *that* fails for negative
values, so to handle that you have to invert negative values around
some chosen "most negative number" and prepend it with a - (or
anything that's lexicographically lower than a 0). Lucene's
NumberTools is the usual solution around this but it's ugly.

couchdb-lucene could make numeric handling easier than it does but you
can get quite far today. My other project uses Lucene extensively and
provides correct sorting and querying on numeric ranges. I cannot
reuse that work here as its proprietary, so I've been putting it off.
Frankly, I was waiting for Lucene 3.0 (probably 3.1) where there's a
possibility of big improvements around numeric handling in general.

Anyone that wants to help out before then can contact my via github or
on #couchdb.

Regards,
B.