couchdb-user mailing list archives

From Dick Davies <rasput...@hellooperator.net>
Subject Re: FW: CouchDB shared hosting
Date Fri, 10 Jul 2009 06:04:34 GMT
On Thu, Jul 9, 2009 at 9:07 AM, Brian Candler<B.Candler@pobox.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 08, 2009 at 01:57:53PM +0200, Stream Service || Mark Scholten wrote:
>> Please note:
>> Using multiple IP addresses just because it is easy for users isn't a real option.
If they need to be able to connect to it from another location it would give a problem (only
1 "public" IP/server, unless we work with SSL certificates) is allowed by RIPE for as far
as I know. With IPv6 this is of course not a problem.

> And of course, since it's HTTP, you can give each user a virtual *domain*
> instead - and either proxy to the same CouchDB instance or different ones on
> different ports, it's up to you.
>
> HTTPS is a bit different, although I don't think CouchDB supports HTTPS
> natively yet anyway. For progammatic clients rather than web browsers, it
> might be reasonable to insist on RFC 2817 for users who want TLS.

If you need to support browsers, that should help too.

RIPE are ok with 1 IP per SSL vhost ; they tend to encourage/mandate
name-based hosting (as you suggested) for http to eke a few more
years out of the ipv4 address space.