couchdb-user mailing list archives

From Noah Slater <nsla...@apache.org>
Subject Re: FW: CouchDB shared hosting
Date Wed, 08 Jul 2009 09:33:51 GMT
On Wed, Jul 08, 2009 at 01:26:07PM +0400, Sergey Shepelev wrote:
> > He clearly means programmatic access, instead of via a GUI interface. If you
> > had spent any time administrating a shared access computer system, you would
> > realise how important this question is.
> >

> Script changing http server config and making it reload config is a
> programmatic access. I had spent quite time administering frontend http server
> and that's why i'm talking about such scripts.

I'm sure, but your original reply was quite flippant:

> In fact, there is no such thing in the world, that can't be done "with
> commands, automatically".

Without a lot of experience, it is easy to imagine that there are some things in
CouchDB that cannot be done programmatically. I know that for one of the Java
based companies I'm involved in, a lot of our back-end systems require complex
GUIs to change configuration settings - which is a total nightmare.

> Because it's the same as if CouchDB would run one database per instance. You
> just run another thin instance for another database and everything's fine.
> Multiplexing databases into one instance only makes sense (in my opinion) if
> we have really thousand of clients per one box and everyone occasionally uses
> their databases. In that case even lightest instances would fill up memory.
> Moderate database per box distribution solves this problem.

Each CouchDB server needs to live on a different port, and this sounds
problematic if you're offering CouchDB instances to paying customers who expect
them all to live on the same port. You could do some complex proxy setup, but
that doesn't sound trivial to automate.

Best,